Sunday, September 4, 2016




Keep Me In Your Mouth...
Denise Bolds MSW, CD(DONA)
September 4, 2016


August 31, 2016 I was a guest on a local cable network show. I had no idea how I was selected and invited… There’s an old saying in the South: “Keep me in your mouth, I will keep you in mine.”

I received phone call from a lovely woman who informed me she facilitates natural healing with herbs; she owns her own tea shop in Mount Vernon, NY. She was seeking a doula to be a guest on her local cable network show. Someone had given her my name and business brochure. I was pleasantly surprised, I happily agreed to meet her before the show as a way of getting to know each other and to finalize details of the taping.

Sadhana Tea House is located Mt. Vernon NY, its a cornucopia of foods, herbs, spices and more; all the things you would find in your grandmother’s pantry. I met Dr. Mother Khoshhali; I could tell this statuesque, well spoken woman was of African descent (Ethiopian). We had a wonderful conversation about birth and trends we observe occurring today; how it's affecting women of color. Khoshhali also reviewed what was expected of me as a guest on her show. We confirmed the time, date and schematics. I wanted to ask her whom referred me to her as I watched her open my Bold Doula brochure but I chose to wait.

The morning of the show taping, I was early and eager to get started. A young African-American woman came up to me in the lobby and introduced herself, Janelle. She went on to explain to me a year ago she attended an Expo focused on black women that I also attended, tabling my doula business at. I remember the event well; many people were there. Many came to my table and took my marketing cards and brochures. Usually these events are good practice for my elevator pitch of my services, and to get a feel of what's happening in the community.

For a year, Janelle kept Bold Doula in her mouth. Upon having a conversation with Dr. Mother Khoshhali, the need for a doula came up; Janelle brought me forward into a wonderful opportunity of being a guest on the cable show which has a very large media reach and expands my marketing reach tremendously.

I have many friends on Facebook and social media, everyone knows I am a certified birth doula with my own business. As a sole proprietor, the challenge of constant marketing and community awareness is vital to business success. Not only do I provide labor and birth support, I also provide postpartum support and breast-feeding counseling. As an African American female having my own business is very interesting. One of my greatest feats is the continued awareness and education of African American women in the community about exactly what is a doula and why it's so beneficial to black birth in America. 

Many African-Americans will agree; marketing and constant referring are two of the biggest challenges black businesses face. Keeping each other in our mouths promotes business viability, visibility and longevity. The more you talk something up, the stronger it manifests. This is done successfully in other cultures; everyone knows someone for something that you need to get done or you're facing right now. I work hard in maintaining the symbolism between pregnancy, childbirth, breast-feeding and Bold Doula services. 

Our breath is our connection to God; when we speak our words are masses of letters that spell out intentions. Keeping someone or some action in your mouth gives it power for example: prayers and mantras. The same applies in a negative situation such as bullying or verbal abuse. Both examples have powerful affects.

Imagine if we all kept one another, our skills and our services each of us is capable of especially entrepreneurs and small businesses like Bold Doula in each other's mouths. The explosion of resources and business growth would be infinite!

Silence is deadly; when we remain silent, the light of wisdom and empowerment is more difficult to maintain. I am about to be a guest on a cable network show discussing birth, the benefits of having a doula and what Bold Doula provides in support of maternal health. I could not have generated this amazing opportunity had I not tabled an event over a year ago, where young woman took my brochure about my business and kept my information in her mouth for over a year. She spoke about me when I wasn't there to do it myself. Referral is key.

I understand the old southern phrase much more clearly. To keep one other in each other's mouths is to keep hope and action of one another alive. With the power of the breath, speaking into existence a persons abilities and skills is a resource to humanity. For my ancestors who were captured, abused, and thrown into a foreign land, naked, hungry for home and forbidden to practice their spirituality openly; keeping one other in each other's mouths was and still is a way of survival.


Do you know a small business owner? Do you know an entrepreneur? Do you know what services they provide? Are you keeping them in your mouth so when the opportunity comes for you to bring their resources to the power of your breath, you will manifest prosperity and empower someone? Now, I keep Sadhanna Tea House and Dr. Mother Koshhali in my mouth as a resource of healing.  And so it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment