Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bardavon January 20, 2009 - Viewing Obama's Inauguration

Bardavon January 20, 2009 – Viewing Obama’s Inauguration

I could barely sleep – I was up at 4:43AM. I am excited today, I feel like it’s my birthday, like my water broke, like I won a huge lottery jackpot, I feel like I am in love. Today I am experiencing something like never before. I am going to watch the first black President of the United States of America be sworn in. I made it to the Bardavon an hour early and I gave away my extra tickets immediately to three women who gushed repeatedly of their luck in being on line near me. One of those women was Margaret from Wappingers Falls, NY. Margaret is a white, petite elderly woman with a bright smile. She is dressed to the hilt: silk pumps with rhinestones, stockings, a beautiful dress hat and a dress coat.

Margaret’s attire reflected my attitude – this is a special moment that I am a part of and I want to look and be at my best. My presence to witness Barak Obama’s inauguration is necessary and warranted. Margaret’s attire touched me; this white woman showed her enthusiasm for this black man who is about to become president of this nation. Margaret’s presence (standing on line in the cold) and attire signifies her respect and acceptance of such a significant event.

I did not want to watch this historic event alone at home – The Bardavon was the perfect choice: a very historic theatre – the Bardavon Theatre is the oldest theatre in the nation, built in 1869. This beautiful building with remarkable architecture and great seats is unforgettable. I had the additional good fortune of sitting with a woman whom I admire and call a friend; Leola Ruffin-McPhee. Leola and I talked about many things, but mostly about our sons and their future with a black president.

The crowd at the Bardavon was electric with smiles, laughter and hugs. Everyone was happy to bear witness to such a historic event. Attendees brought food donations for the local food pantry. This was a feel good event. I loved the fact that there were so many young people whom also attended the Bardavon. I have never seen such participation by both the young and elderly in a political event like the response for Obama.

Watching history being made, I was reminded of tradition. This inauguration was bigger than choosing the last Pope and bigger than a royal wedding. America had the opportunity to show tradition in a very diverse style with the new 44th President of the United States being a black man. What was not avoided, omitted nor forgotten was the fact that black slaves built and cared for the very capital that Barak Obama now presides over. At one time blacks were considered 3/5th of a man as Solidad O’Brien reiterated numerous times during the broadcast, to my joy.

Americans needed this inauguration and this black president as an infusion of hope and change. This nation is experiencing a sapping of confidence. I witnessed so many people today be energized with hope and sentiment of inclusion of all to do the hard work to make change that will benefit the nation. President Obama stated: “Greatness is never given, it is earned.” I applaud President Obama and his family for standing up and out at the cost of personal risk and great scrutiny to give hope and lead change.

I feel validated: for every time I was called the n-word while growing up as one of the few blacks in an Irish-Catholic neighborhood in NYC. For every time I faced racism and discrimination at my job and community right here in Dutchess County where I vote, pay taxes and contribute my time and efforts. I did cry today, my tears are of joy and hope that blacks will be embraced ending the hatred/ignorance. Racism and discrimination will not be eradicated with Obama as president. I am looking forward to the change his leadership will bring and the impact on our youth who hold the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment