Saturday, October 15, 2016



Rebozo Me, Myself & I
Denise Bolds, MSW CD(DONA) October 1, 2016


I attended the Spinning Babies 2016 Confluence, I was gifted a Rebozo. I have known of Rebozo use in Latina women/culture for years. In birth work, it is especially present in it’s multifaceted use. In case you don't know, A rebozo is a long flat garment used mostly by women in Mexico. It can be worn in various ways, usually folded or wrapped around the head and/or upper body to shade from the sun, provide warmth and as an accessory to an outfit. It is also used to carry babies and large bundles, especially among indigenous women.

My rebozo gift is short, like I am. The woman who gave it to me, an experienced Mexican midwife Angelina, in her limited English told me “This one is short, it is for you.” I accepted the rebozo with both awe and gratitude. My rebozo, a plain cream color with a little orange and black stitching at the bottom is very unassuming.

Later, I took my rebozo into a rebozo class that Angelina taught. When it was time to practice rebozo techniques, my little rebozo fell short doing all the different techniques. A fellow doula laughed at my attempts, she stated: “It’s not gonna make it Denise.” I settled on observing. I looked longingly at the other rebozos, my instinct directed me to be content with what was given. I am.

My little rebozo made it back to New York, onto my shelf; suddenly I encountered it on my altar where I do my daily meditations and prayers. Things have been challenging for me; attending the Spinning Babies Confluence 2016 allowed me some space, with something extra as I draped my little rebozo around my shoulders, I began to pray. My rebozo soaked up my tears. As I clutched the sturdy fabric, the drape of my rebozo became a hug around me. It felt like same hug Gail Tully hugged me before I left Minnesota, she commanded me to “Hold on.” It’s the same hug I feel every night in my dreams; my ancestors hug me. It’s the same hug I get from Denise the little girl whenever I am troubled. It’s the same hug I get from my three babies I miscarried. I gripped my little rebozo fiercely as I released tears of spiritual growth. I don't know how long I sat at my altar with my rebozo. Time fell away.

The next day, there was my little rebozo, pristine and folded up on my prayer stool in front of my altar waiting for me. It look brand new, not ravaged after the night before of intense prayer and release. Every time I meditate, my little rebozo is with me. Over time when I need a hug or find my core, I tie my little rebozo tightly around my middle and wear it around the house. 


I don't know if Angelina knew how powerful the gift she gave me is, I do know I was meant to be at that specific place and time to receive it. My little rebozo is not for my birth clients, it is for me. I accept the self love this amazing gift represents gratefully.  There’s so much ability in this little cloth. My rebozo resembles me: short, powerful, resilient and grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment